From St. Mary’s to Lansing Catholic Central
St. Mary's High School
had its first graduating class in 1904. This was the start of what would
become Lansing Catholic Central High School. A separate high school for
St. Mary's was built behind the Cathedral in 1939 for $140,000 in downtown
second high school graduated its first class in 1939. This high school was
known as Resurrection High School. At this time Resurrection did not have
a separate building for the school. Ground breaking for the school was
also in the same year, 1939. The school was built on Michigan Avenue near
Resurrection Parish. Both St. Mary's and Resurrection continued to operate
In 1963 two new high schools were built to replace St. Mary's and
Resurrection. They were called Monsignor John W. O'Rafferty High School
(Raiders) and Monsignor John H. Gabriels High School (Shamrocks).
O'Rafferty was located on West Saginaw in Delta Township. Gabriels was
located at the corner of Saginaw and Marshall in Lansing. Due to financial
difficulties the decision was made to consolidate the schools.
This consolidation was done in 1970. O'Rafferty closed and Gabriels was
renamed and reopened as Lansing Catholic Central High School (Cougars).
The first school year at Catholic Central was 1970-1971. There were 1,300
students at the school that year. Catholic Central continues to operate to
this day at the southwest corner of Saginaw and Marshall.
Research by Mary Hill
Academic Profile Admissions Our